The FPI is pleased to announce that this year’s Budget Review Trilogy will be hosted as an online event on the 24th and 25th of February 2021.
The Budget Speech by Minister of Finance Tito Mboweni has implications for all sectors of the economy with the financial sectors often the first to feel the effects of any major fiscal changes. Financial planners, tax practitioners, accountants and fiduciary specialists are invited to attend the Budget Trilogy Review – a series of online sessions where panels of experts will give their insights into the budget from a political and economic perspective. The sessions will be chaired by Keith Engel, the CEO of the South African Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT).
The programme is outlined below.
24 February 2021
4.15 – 5:45pm
IMMEDIATE POST-BUDGET ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
This first session will be held directly after the Minister’s speech. A panel of expert economists will share their reactions to the speech, with a focus on the balance between taxes, expenditure and debt, and how the state of the global economy will impact the South African economy in a post Covid-19 context.
- Phumlani Majozi: Economist, Phumlanimajozi and SAIBA board member
- Miyelani Mkhabela: CEO and Chief Economist, Antswisa Transaction Advisory
- Annabel Bishop: Chief Economist, Investec
- Mkhwanasi Siphamandla: Economist, FNB
25 February 2021
9 – 10am
BUDGET TAX PROPOSALS 2021
This session will cover the main tax proposals outlined in the budget, as well as any notable proposals contained in Annexure C. The discussion will include the viability of government’s revenue targets and the role of SARS in the revenue projections.
- Professor Rajen Pillay: CEO, Garuda Capital
- Ernie Lai King: Managing Director, 1 Road Consulting
- Melissa Duffy: Director, KPMG
- Johan Heydenrych: Director of Tax Services, Kreston Advisory
10.10 – 10.25am
OLD MUTUAL WEALTH
A short seminar where wealth management considerations for SA tax residents will be discussed.
- Chris Potgieter: Managing Director, Old Mutual Wealth
10.25 – 11.25am
FINANCIAL SECTOR PROPOSAL AND TRENDS
Treasury remains the policy leader for savings. This session will cover the latest announcements in terms of new savings products and savings regulations, including any renewed focus on prescribed assets. This session will further include the latest on exchange control liberalisation, and practical thoughts on the best investment choices for 2021.
- Guillaume Oberholster: Managing Partner, Mazars
- Cheryl Howard: Financial Consultant, Cheryl Howard & Associates
- Ronald King: Head of Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs, PSG
- Chantal Robertson: Head of Cross- Border Advice, FNB
- Lara Warburton: Managing Director, Integral Wealth
11.25 – 11.40am
A short session unpacking the budget speech changes affecting employee taxes.
- Ania Strydom: Senior Payroll Compliance Specialist, SAGE Africa.
BOOK YOUR SPOT
Members are invited to reserve their place at the event via the SAIT Booking Portal – the rate is R392 per person for members and R490 for non-members. Those who attend the event and complete an online assessment will earn three CDP hours.
The Budget Review Trilogy is presented by the Financial Planning Institute of Southern Africa (FPI), the South African Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT) and the Southern African Institute for Business Accountants (SAIBA), with support from Sage Pty Ltd and Old Mutual Pty Ltd.
MESSAGE FROM THE CEO
“By hosting the Budget Review Trilogy as an online event, more professionals will have access,” says FPI CEO Lelané Bezuidenhout CFP®. “The budget speech is always significant, but this year it will be even more so considering the worldwide pandemic and its impact on developing economies like ours. We are expecting major tax changes that will have a far-reaching effect on South Africa’s recovery.”